Google+ The Art that Inspires Writers and Readers: The Fake Romance cover

Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Fake Romance cover

 Dear Ladies and gentlemen;

It is still summer, let's have some innocent (or not so much) fun. After a friend posted an amazing romance novel cover I started a board on pinterest "the most outrageous romance novel covers" cover- pined looking for "material" for my board I started to find some covers that made me suspicious: was this for real? 



Tender is the Storm by Johanna Lindsey. From the book cover: 
"For Lucas's beautiful, unsuspecting pawn was not supposed to be so irresistible alluring. And freedom-loving Sharisse never dreamed she could ever desire one man so much! "

After a few I had decided that the FAKE ROMANCE COVER was a new child of the photoshop era, an easy victim of the times. While "Tender is the storm" is a real book "A bit lower, lassy" couldn't possibly be. Don't you agree. So where there others?



And what about this brave Scotsman fallen in the hand of an evil hairdresser of a rival clan: 



Here a few more inventive examples



What a temptation! Could I make my own contribution to the genre? This is my first try using the late Jo Beverley's cover for "tempting fortune" my least favorite of the series featuring the family of the Marquess of Rothgar. I don't like the cover either but it reflects the character of the heroine quite well. 




I am not convinced this is funny. Maybe it is easier if I start with a funny cover in its own right? let's see. This is an illustration without text. A blank slate. An exercise That maybe some of my readers would want to try?





Maybe I am improving, but this isn't as easy as I though, I am mainly making fun of the cover picture itself. I think the masterstroke is the author's name. So here I go again, I found a cover that can be "enhanced" with little effort (you can find the original in my pinterest link above) 

With my last effort I am afraid I have descended to potty jokes, but I just had had to take one of Favio's cover pictures! 



The truth is covers are not like this any longer for a reason. Even without the mischievous text on top, the picture in itself is the biggest joke. Nowadays covers leave most to the imagination. The most common covers show only the heroine in a sweeping long dress. If some still imagine that the hero looks like Favio, that is between her and the virtual pages of the ebook. 

enjoy the rest of your summer,

Miranda







No comments:

Post a Comment